We Want to Make Parents’ Lives Simple at Little Wiggles & Giggles Learning Center
In our blog this month, we focus on quick and easy meal and snack ideas involving little to no cooking. We understand that life gets busy, leaving little time to make creative and yummy meals and snacks. With this understanding, Little Wiggles & Giggles Learning Center has some ideas that require little to no cooking. You can make a variety of:
Smoothies and Parfaits are Simple to Make, and Easy for Young Children to Eat
Making smoothies and parfaits are quick and easy. Because they have liquid ingredients, they’re also easily consumable by young children. Smoothies and parfaits generally don’t involve any cooking or baking.
Smoothies are a Blend of Fruit or Veggies, a Creamy Ingredient, and Sometimes Ice
Basic smoothie ingredients usually include a fruit or veggie, something creamy, and sometimes ice. Ice creates a smooth, thick, chilly, and frothy texture. Using fresh fruit and veggies works well, but if you use frozen fruits or veggies, you don’t need ice. Creamy ingredients improve smoothies’ textures and mouthfeels. Common creamy smoothie ingredients include yogurt or dairy, and non-dairy milk. If you’re making a veggie smoothie, you could try cottage cheese, kefir, or avocado.
Parfaits are Cold Desserts with Layers
Parfaits originated in France, around the year 1890, as frozen desserts. They have a base of sugar, syrup, egg, and cream. American parfaits have layers of cream or yogurt, then fruit, more yogurt or cream, then a crunchy topping. They might include ice cream in place of the parfait cream or yogurt.
Make Wraps, Skewers, and Salads for Creative and Simple Meals and Snacks
Wraps are sandwiches in which the filling is rolled in a soft, corn or flour tortilla. Salads are cold dishes often involving raw greens, vegetables, and toppings, and sometimes include proteins. Skewers are long, thick pieces of wood or metal that hold small pieces of food. Skewers, salads, and wraps are easy to prepare, and can include nothing but cold ingredients.
Simple Combinations of Skewers
- Italian bread + mozzarella + prosciutto + cherry tomato + pesto
- Lebanon bologna or salami wrapped with cream cheese + olives or cucumbers
- Rice Krispies treats + brownie bites + mini marshmallows
- Sliced strawberries + blueberries or blackberries + glazed donut holes
Wraps Can Be Salads Rolled Inside Tortilla Shells
- Chicken Caesar: Romaine lettuce, parmesan cheese, and sliced tomatoes, with roasted chicken tossed with Caesar dressing
- Cobb: Roasted chicken, avocado, blue cheese, bacon, sliced tomatoes, egg, and mixed greens with vinaigrette dressing
- What makes a chef salad a chef salad?
- Chef: Hard-boiled eggs, ham, turkey, chicken, and/or roast beef, sliced tomatoes, cucumbers, and shredded cheese, with lettuce
At Little Wiggles & Giggles Learning Center, we offer all-day childcare for infants, toddlers, and early childhood education students. For more information about our services, call us at (570) 208-9125. Like us on Facebook and follow us for updates. We are happy to discuss more quick and easy meal and snack ideas involving little to no cooking.